Friday, May 8, 2009

The Presidents Discussion yesterday

At the town hall yesterday, May 7, President Jordan said:

... that the College will always rely on affiliates as a critical component of the College. He suggested that affiliates could be used to teach more upper-division courses so that full-time professors could move into lower-division courses where they could have a greater impact on student retention.

There is a full review of his address at on Metro Connect. It is worth noting that President Jordan is taking a voluntary pay cut.

There are many items that will affect us. Please read the article. The article has also been sent to your Metro email box.


Howie

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm....as an Affiliate, I teach mostly upper division courses in engineering technology. I always felt the full time people taught a majority of the lower division courses since these courses were basically easier to teach and required less effort, What Jordan is saying is a new tact - and surprises me - that full time people help retain students? Based on feedback I get from students, many students have approached me and complained about full time faculty and based on that unsolicited student feedback, I would say many students would not agree with Jordan comments. They complain about the lower division courses as too slow and taught by unmotivated, full-time faculty who have little or no industry experience. Bottom line, I find a majority of students prefer a working professional (aka Affiliate) teaching the engineering technology courses who can connect the coursework to actual work experience.

Dave

Anonymous said...

In the department I am in it is the opposite of Dave's experience. As an affiliate I mainly teach lower division classes yet know the full-time faculty are very well liked (for the most part). Many of my past students let me know what good educational experiences they are having with full time faculty.
It is interesting to see how Metro departments vary so much from each other.


Bill

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know what Jordan makes in his compensation package? His paycut was something like 3% which I don't find too significant - mostly symbolic. When they were recruiting him, I seem to recall they published his proposed compensation package. And I seem to recall it was north of about $250K per year. I was surprised at the time because it seemed to rival (and may exceed) the amount the CU system president makes.

I thought this information should be public, but I've never been able to find it online.

An underpaid Adjunct