Friday, December 11, 2009

retirement

I haven't quite finalized things with Russ yet,. I have to talk to the Powers that be and you all know how that works.

I leave Metro with mixed feelings. I love our students. They are the reason that I've hung around for 31 years . I think the New Provost will be an asset. She started as an adjunct. I spent some time with her and I was impressed by the questions she asked. I will keep on pressing for our rights as I can and time allows. I'd like to see a second carer path, parallel to Tenure with all the rights and privileges of Tenure.

Most of the existing administration is wedded to the Tenure system. In my opinion the Tenure system is a relic of the feudal guild system. Higher Education will never get rid of it, but we must convince them that we are an asset and we deserve to be treated fairly.

I have tried to keep this blog positive. If it became a source of complaints and negative comments it would lose all credibility. We must work positively and within the system to affect any changes.

There you have it, my final word. I will still be fighting the good fight, however not as an affiliate faculty member of MSCD, but as an individual.

One thing that Dr. Jordan has missed. We ARE pre-emenent. We do a job that no other school in the country does. We provide that one last shot at getting a degree. We turn white collar workers into blue collar workers and we do it better than any school around!

You can always reach me at hflomberg@gmail.com

Shalom

Howie

1 comment:

russmeade said...

Howie!

As one who teaches as an Adjunct all from the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC may I say a large THANKS for this Blog and how you have worked so hard to bring us news and information that helps us all .

Do let me know what the powers that be say and with the help of ALL we will keep up the great work that you have worked so diligently on all this time.

I guess we all know that adjuncts are often the" forgotten people "in academia.

We love what we do, contribute with our whole hearts and minds and often feel like we are day labors.

I do not know about the rest of you but I have no college that gives me benefits, retirement, days off, professional development opportunities etc.

If Metro does please do let me know:):)

We have such talents here at Metro and the key, I believe, is continuing to communicate in a positive, life affirming way with each other.

The internet can bring us all closer for mutual benefit if we only use it!.

If anyone would like to simply talk about where we can go from here, do feel free to call me at anytime at 828-243-8259, SKYPE me at Russ Meade, or visit me here in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC ( www.rumblingbald.com .

Hey..... maybe we can write it off as a tax deduction!:):):)

Howie...though we have never met again a huge THANKS!

Your contribution to us all is much appreciated.

SALOME back at ya! ( Hey I am a New York City boy though living in the south! )

Russ