Sunday, August 16, 2009

Introductions

Russ Meade left a good Idea - How about introducing ourselves:

I'll go first.

My name is Howard Flomberg, I teach in the Management department with side excursions to CIS and an occasional visit to Math/Computer Science. I am a Metro Grad ('74) and I've been Adjuncting since '78. I have over thirty years as a software developer and Database Admin. I came to Metro as one of the massive invasions on Vietnam Vets back in the early 70's. I stay for one reason. I feel strongly about the Metro mission. We are there for those who need us. We provide an excellent education. IMHO - President Jordan is wrong - We ARE a preeminent institution.

Next?

2 comments:

Dawn Adams said...

I am Dawn Adams, and I'm delighted to find this blog! I'm new to Metro and haven't taught for over 10 years, since founding a non-profit then. But it was great to be on campus again and with the excitement of students on their first day of class! If anyone here knows of a way I can sign up to keep informed about ANY faculty ANYthing on campus, please let me know. I'm on the steep part of the learning curve here.

Dr. Russ Meade said...

Evening Friends!

I am Russ Meade and teach full time in DL all from my mountain home in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC!

Needless to say I absolutely love it! Originally from NY City ( a/k/A God's Favorite City:):):)

I thought you would all enjoy the following article from today's NY Times on a report from U.S. Department of Education !

It follows up on Thomas L. Russell's book, "The No Significant Difference Phenomenon" concerning Distance Education .

Since 2001 Russell has maintained that: :

A well designed,

well taught,

interactive online class

with the use of technology is at least as effective as a seated class.

Now, recent research by U.S. Department of Education has found that with the use of Web 2.0 tools that many of us are using, online education online education BEATS the classroom.

As some may know I have been beta testing as an optional feature some of these 2.0 tools and students love them.

See this Debate site where students can post their discussions via their microphone, web can or, even their cell phone!

Do try if you desire. ( Paste in the links below)

LET'S DISCUSS AND DEBATE USING OUR MICROPHONE OR WEB CAM!

http://voicethread.com/share/562892

Here is the link to the Article:

What great news for our program!!!!!

"Study Finds That Online Education Beats the Classroom"

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/19/study-finds-that-online-education-beats-the-classroom/?src=linkedin


Russ Meade
russmeade@bellsouth.net