Friday, August 14, 2009

Questions from a Colleague

One of our colleagues, Tiffany Regan asked me to post a couple of questions. I think that they are excellent questions to start some discussion. Here they are -

Two topics that I would love to discuss on the site are in her own words:

1) Is there job security at Metro for adjunct faculty? For instance, if you teach 1-2 sections of a class in the fall, are you reasonably assured of having a section to teach in the spring? Do most of the ad. faculty work full-time or part-time?
2) What are the pros and cons of teaching public ed K-12 vs. college? I assume that some faculty have taught K-12, but that may not be the case.

Thank you Tiffany, I think that you're nailing some important area for discussion!

Howie

PS, her tag-line is great: Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. Margaret Mead

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My responses

1) I do not have job security at Metro. I don't know what (or if) I will be teaching the next semester. However, the MSCD dept will ask for my commitment very early - then I get their commitment at the last minute.
Consequently, I have developed a take it or leave it attitude about teaching at Metro. If I am offered an interesting class to teach - great. If I am not offered any classes - it usually is not a big deal for me. I set my expectations low so not to be disappointed.

I see it as Metro - they can't make any commitment to me - so I make no commitment to them. That's how it works for me.

2) I have not taught K-12.

3) I try to maintain a full time job outside of Metro. I really can't see how I could make it teaching at Metro only.

An Unhappy Affiliate