Monday, August 10, 2009

Notes from the Affiliate Session today

There were about 60 Affiliates there and a lot of excellent information was shared. The Power-Points and some of the notes will be posted. I'll link them in as soon as I find out. However I detected a note of optimistic and positive enthusiasm from all the presenters.


There is a great website for the Education Technology Center that Dr. Potter has assembled: http://www.mscd.edu/etc/ The "Services" link is very informative. Dr. Potter is quite enthusiastic about linking the various groups on campus. I brought a set of phone numbers in and Dr. Potter will be including them.

Lee Combs (combsl@mscd.edu), the schools Legal Counselor, put together a presentation on the legalities that we face. I asked for a session for us with him. His talk about copyright was superb.

Percy Morehouse, the director of Equal Opportunity also spoke about the situations we might face. I recommend your checking out their website.

http://www.mscd.edu/facstaff/admin/eoo/index.shtml

Dr. Morehouse is quite amenable to open and frank discussion.

I also found out that this blog gets quite bit of attention from management. It is important that we let them know what we are thinking, in a positive manner, of course?

I also spoke to Ms. Porsha Black. Ms Black is in charge of issuing lockers. Her phone number is 303.556.5221. I'd move fast on these. They are going to be a scarce commodity.

Also - One of the presenters - a guy named Howie :( - apparently gave some misleading information about the Incomplete grade. I was called on the carpet politely and appropriately from Vonda Knox, The Provost's Executive Asst. I apologize. The Incomplete grade can be a valuable tool when needed. I implied that it should be avoided. I asked Vonda to send me a correction and I will post it. Thank you Vonda.

I Do wish you had all been there!

Howie


2 comments:

mpotter said...

Just one quick correction to Howie's post: The resources that I spoke of during the workshop are on the "Resources" area of the Center for Faculty Development Web site. Go to: http://www.mscd.edu/cfd/resources/ and you will find a lot of useful information to help you in your instructional roles, including workshop downloads, books that are search-able through Google, and Web links organized as a "tag cloud".

Of course, the ETC (Educational Technology Center) is a great resource too, more specifically for online teaching or online components in face-to-face classes.

Mark Potter

The Flomblog said...

ALSO adding to Dr. Potter's message

At: http://www.mscd.edu/cfd/resources/affiliate.shtml

you'll find Orientation Information for Affiliates!